Chíc Eco was founded in 1997 as a sole proprietorship by Delia Montgomery in Lexington, Kentucky. The first Chíc Eco Directory was published in 1999, which pioneered the most thorough, earth-friendly, annual fashion and design source books available anywhere.
Today the business is located on the Big Island of Hawaii and primarily Internet based to satisfy eco-conscious earthlings for home, body and garden interests.
The Chic Eco mission is to preserve our planet Earth and enhance environmental consciousness by communicating who is making what in our world of sustainable design, — from fashion to varied products, materials, structures, and vehicles.
- Writing: In 1997 Delia initiated freelance writing about environmental design, fashion and art where contributions began in her home state of Kentucky and expanded through the United States and Canada. Other countries followed and many of her published articles may be viewed from this site.
- Wholesale Representation: Designers welcomed Delia and “hempster” partner Kim Eisner to represent their earth-friendly accessories and apparel. However, the Kentucky retailers were skeptical and by 1998 a new path of direction was chosen.
- Directory: With a combination of efforts to unite the green market, the idea of a directory was born and underway before 1999. As a result, Delia’s annual self-published Chíc Eco Directory, (for homes, bodies and gardens), was sold to hundreds of buyers for five years, 2000 through 2004, from this website and numerous on-line bookstores. It was considered the “ultimate” green design reference bible; — especially since vendors were not charged for their listings. Praise, reviews and press about the directory were published from 1999 through 2005.
- Personal Shopping: Delia’s directory led to interesting assignments — including personal shopping services for famed celebrities and busy people. A certified organic Christmas tree was driven from Texas to Beverly Hills in short notice. A rock band who wanted to emphasize animal rights was outfitted in attire made from bicycle tubes that looked like leather. Then there were the window blinds for a Santa Fe environmentalist — custom made with sustainable wood, hemp cord and undyed, non-bleached cotton tape. Most enjoyable was selecting nontoxic interior wall paint in the best interest of a Midwest homeowner’s cat.
- Walk the Talk: Health issues surfaced with long-term chemo and pharmaceutical treatments 2002-2003. It was a depressing, costly time before Delia grew enlightened to alternative methods of well being and became more proactive — promoting organic, natural and nontoxic products with a much deeper understanding and compassion for those who struggled with weak immune systems.
- A Shift: By 2005 novel business strategies evolved with regained health, a life attitude transformation, and relocation plan to the healing-magnet islands of Hawaii.
- New Vision: Delia learned the most pressing need for talented earth-friendly designers was sales representation that offers the same benefits as any respected (but conventional) wholesale fashion buying house.
Delia Montgomery is a former fashion merchandising, retail management student and ladies’ boutique owner of the 70’s. Founder of Chíc Eco, early 1997, where she holds the reputation as the first eco fashion promotional pioneer in North America. Delia’s work and determination continues to unite green living enthusiasts from every perspective, culture and location.